Banana Nut Muffins
Most muffins are just a step away from cake with lots of added sugar. Not these muffins! These muffins contain super healthy fats from nuts and no added sugar. Use muffin papers and spray them with non-stick spray for the best product. You can experiment with using pears in the place of the apples and vary the type of nuts you use.
|Serving Size:||1 muffin|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||20–25 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1½ cup chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use Chinese 5 spice for a different flavor)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line 12 muffin tins with muffin papers and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mash bananas with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Add apples, nuts, and eggs to the bananas. Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into muffin cups filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until the internal temperature of the muffin is 165°F.
- Place on a wire rack for cooling.
- Once cool, store in the refrigerator for 4–7 days.