Peruvian Chicken and Rice Soup
Adapted from Aguadito de Pollo
A traditional chicken soup in Peru, Aguadito de Pollo combines the bright flavors of cilantro with chicken, vegetables, and rice. This take on the Peruvian classic may become your new favorite. The recipe can be scaled up and makes a great freezer-friendly option.
|Serving Size:||2 cups|
|Prep time:||25 minutes|
|Cook time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||70 minutes|
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 pound chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1, 8.5-ounce can of corn, drained and rinse (or 1 ear of corn, kernels removed)
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, finely diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, discard the stems
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute onions until soft, or about 5 minutes.
- Once onions are soft, push to the sides of the pot and add chicken thighs. Sear chicken on both sides.
- Add garlic, green bell pepper, carrot, potato, corn, jalapeno or serrano chili, cilantro, salt, pepper, and chicken stock to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 –15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender and chicken has reached a minimum internal cooking temperature of 165°F.
- Add cooked brown rice, frozen green peas, and the juice of 1 lime. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and taste for seasoning. Adjust if needed.