Bursting with crunchy pickled carrots and a kick of heat from the jalapeno, this Vietnamese-inspired sandwich uses your choice of protein and is the perfect balance of sweet, sour, and salty.
|Serving Size:||1 sandwich|
|Prep time:||20 minutes|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes + time to marinate|
- 1 pound chicken breast or tofu, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 3 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoon rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 4 sub rolls
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- Pickled vegetables
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Sriracha or sliced jalapeno
For Pickled Vegetables
- Place thinly sliced carrots and radishes in a heat-safe container.
- In a small sauce pan, heat vinegar, water, sugar, and salt over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Pour hot liquid over vegetables.
- Let cool, cover, and store in the refrigerator.
- Let sit at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight before serving.
- Stir together soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, garlic, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
- Place protein in a plastic storage bag.
- Pour soy sauce mixture over protein.
- Marinate at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add protein and marinade to the skillet.
- Cook on both sides until chicken is cooked through or tofu is seared.
- To serve smear 1/2 Tablespoon of mayonnaise on a sub roll. Layer chicken or tofu, pickled vegetables, sliced cucumber, Sriracha or jalapeno, and cilantro.