Southern Style Chicken and Vegetable Sheet Pan
Marinating your chicken adds moisture to the meat helping to prevent the chicken from drying out during the cooking process. Although overnight is best, even just one hour of marinating can add flavor and moisture to your dish. This recipe serves two portions of chicken and vegetables — scale up as much as you need. Serve with brown rice or a hearty salad.
|Serving Size:||1/2 chicken breast + 1 cup vegetables|
|Prep time:||15 minutes + marinating time|
|Cook time:||30–40 minutes|
|Total time:||45–55 minutes + marinating time|
- 1½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 boneless chicken breast, about 6 – 8 ounces
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard, such as Dijon mustard
- Mix together the marinade and set it aside.
- Place chopped vegetables and chicken breast into an airtight container or gallon bag. Pour in marinade and thoroughly coat the vegetables and chicken.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken and vegetables on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the chicken breast. Once the chicken breast reaches 165°F, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Return vegetables to the oven to continue cooking for another 5 –10 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces the sweet potatoes.
- Mix together ingredients for the glaze.
- Once vegetables are out of the oven, add the chicken back to the pan and drizzle glaze over everything.