This homestyle shawarma makes easy work of a meal that traditionally takes all day slow roasting. Marinating the chicken in Greek yogurt and warm spices to ensure it’s flavorful and juicy — never dry!
|Serving Size:||1 wrap|
|Prep time:||30 minutes + marinade time|
|Cook time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes + marinade time|
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 pound chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 cup parsley, coarsely minced
- 1½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
- 1 cucumber or 1/2 European cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped fine or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2–3 Tablespoons of lemon juice (or the juice from 1 lemon)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 whole-wheat flatbreads
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Stir together spices, salt, and yogurt.
- Place thinly sliced chicken and spice-yogurt mixture in a gallon-size freezer bag.
- Seal the bag and massage marinade into the chicken.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
- To cook, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 8–10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
For Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Toss all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
For Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
- Peel and seed the cucumber.
- Removing the seeds is important so your sauce is not watery.
- Grate the cucumber using the medium or large size on a box grater. Or you can also grate using a food processor.
- Mix all remaining ingredients. Start with 1/2 teaspoon salt and adjust if needed.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Layer greens, cucumber tomato salad, and chicken on a flatbread.
- Top with sauce.
- Roll up and serve.